Saturday, May 15, 2010

Classic Value Investors

Readers,

I thought that I would introduce you to another talented member of the value investing clan who I believe has a lot to offer both new and experienced investors. His name is Mariusz Skonieczny and he runs the site called Classic Value Investors. He has also written a very comprehensive book entitled Why Are We So Clueless about the Stock Market?. I have read the book and have told Mariusz that it should be required reading for all incoming MBA students. As many of you know, I am getting my MBA currently at the UCLA Anderson School of Management in sunny, southern California. It probably won't surprise you to hear that my knowledge and passion for financial markets and investing make me a little bit unique. In fact, many of my classmates do not have a formal business background and initially have trouble with relatively simple concepts and vocabulary as a result of not being exposed to finance previously. This is where I think Mariusz's short, but comprehensive book could really add value. If students were required to read it before they started taking classes, they would be much more familiar with the concepts and would not struggle to learn the terminology and the technical concepts at the same time.

Accordingly, for anyone who is new to investing or who is thinking about making a career switch, I highly recommend going to Amazon.com and picking up a copy of Mariusz's book. I know that learning about the financial markets, especially given their global nature and the seemingly never-ending complexity, can appear to be a daunting task. However, everyone must start somewhere and in my mind there is no better place to start than with this book. I also urge you to go through his website (linked above). There is a lot of information on it about his investing strategy and how to invest with him if you are looking for a value-biased asset manager. I met Mariusz in Omaha a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the way he approaches investing. Since then multiple people have mentioned to me that they thought he was very intelligent and seemed to have the proper temperament required to be a great investor.

Please help me welcome Mariusz to the club by checking out his website. If you would like to learn more about him, I'm sure he would not mind if you emailed him at
mskonieczny@classicvalueinvestors.com.

I hope that everyone enjoyed all of the notes from the various events from the past few weeks. Thanks to all of you who sent me emails. I promise I will email each and every one of you back. It just might take a little time.

Stay tuned for my updated research on PMA Capital Corp. (PMACA). The stock is up but I think it is still severely undervalued.

Thanks for following me and I look forward to trying to create valuable content that resonates with everyone.

Sincerely,

The Inoculated Investor